Federal Pacific Electric Stab-Lok panels have long been known to be problematic, and I’ve always called them out as a potential safety hazard. While performing a home inspection, I recommend having these panels evaluated by an electrician and replaced if necessary.
Here are a few key points:
- Federal Pacific Electric (FPE) sold millions of panels between the 1950’s and 1980’s.
- Testing by the Consumer Product Safety Commision has shown these breakers to have an unacceptably high rate of failure, which creates a safety hazard.
- Testing has proven that virtually every panel installed in the United States contains defective breakers.
- FPE falsified their UL testing, making their UL listing void.
- Approximately 1 out of 3 breakers are defective.